Events and Activities are held throughout the year for prospective students, and the entire MIT community is welcome to DMSE lectures and seminars.
- DMSE participates in the Freshman Pre-Orientation Program (FPOP): Discover Materials Science and Engineering will introduce you to the ubiquity of materials science, from the smartphone in your pocket to the clothes on your back. You will also get to spend a week with current DMSE students, hear from DMSE alumni and professors who are involved with cutting-edge research, and go on a company tour to see materials science being applied in the real world.
- First-year Seminars and Academic Exploration Subjects are opportunities to learn something completely new. Check out DMSE's offerings—they include blacksmithing, materials in human experience, and principles of engineering practice!
- January is MIT's Independent Activities Period (IAP). DMSE faculty and staff teach a variety of classes, including "Adventures in Scanning Electron Microscopy" and "Bird Flight and Migration."
- Come to an Open House to meet faculty and students and tour the labs. Dates and times will be announced for events during Family Weekend and Campus Preview Weekend.
- Watch for announcements of the Wulff Lecture; world-renowned speakers give an introductory, general audience, entertaining lecture that educates, inspires, and encourages MIT undergrads. Past speakers come from industry or academia, they explain how materials science and engineering is changing the world by addressing challenges of water needs, recycling, energy, manufacturing, and more.