Human Resources in DMSE
DMSE's Human Resources staff handle appointments, hiring, promotions, and more.
Appointments for Spring 2022
updated January 27, 2022
Starting this spring, MIT will once again welcome visiting scholars and research affiliates to campus. We are now processing applications for the Visiting Students Program.
MIT is permitting visiting scholar/scientist/engineer/professor appointments starting. To access campus, visiting researchers, like MIT students, faculty, and staff, will be required to be fully vaccinated and boosted (or have an approved exemption) and to participate in Covid Pass.
While this change includes international visiting scholars and research affiliates, it is important to bear in mind that planning travel to the U.S. continues to be challenging. Visa processing times, for example, are likely to take longer than they did pre-Covid, and new restrictions on travel into the U.S. may be imposed depending on public health trends in other countries and in the U.S. The International Scholars Office can provide more information on a case-by-case basis about reasonable expectations regarding start dates in the fall for international visiting appointments.
Please note the Visiting Students Program has modified its process effective January 2022. Please contact email@example.com with questions about this program.
Postdoctoral Fellows and Postdoctoral Associates New Hire Requests
- If the Postdoctoral Scholar requires a J-1 Visa, please ask your Faculty Assistant to submit the completed request in QuickBase no later than 90 days prior to the desired start date. Please note that neither DMSE-HR nor ISchO can guarantee a specific start date.
- Start dates are either the 1st or 16th of the hiring month for all J-1 visa scholars.
Temporary employees hired through NextSource are not subject to hiring constraints.
- Employee must reside in the United States.
- 14 business days required to set up the appointment
Minors and K–12 programs
MIT has announced that department-led programs for minors and K–12 may resume. A few of the guidelines include:
- Programs must be registered.
- Face coverings must be worn.
- All visitors must follow the MIT visitor policies.