- Head of the Department of Biological Engineering
- James Mason Crafts Professor
- Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- Professor of Bioengineering
- BA, Creative Studies, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1991
- PhD, Chemistry, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1997
- Room 76-561A
- Personal Website
- NSF video "Using Viruses to Make Batteries"
- Panel discussion on "Perspectives on Teaching, Learning, and Living" MIT Campaign for a Better World
Bio; Biotechnology; Energy Storage; Nanotechnology; Polymers
Angela Belcher is a materials chemist with expertise in biomaterials, biomolecular materials, organic-inorganic interfaces and solid-state chemistry. Her work focuses on evolving organisms to build new materials and devices for clean energy, electronics, the environment and medicine. She received the B.S. in Creative Studies and the Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry from the University of California at Santa Barbara. Dr. Belcher was awarded the 24th annual MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, and the 2004 Four Star General Recognition Award. In 2006 she was named Scientific American’s Research Leader of the Year. Her work has been published in many prestigious scientific journals including Science and Nature, and has been reported in the popular press including Fortune, Forbes, Discover, The New York Times, and The Wall Street Journal.
August 21, 2019
August 2, 2019
September 10, 2018