Outside Employment

Normally the assigned duties, together with the allowed classroom registration, will command the full-time attention of the graduate student staff member. As a result, students holding these appointments normally are not allowed to accept outside employment. In those very rare cases when it is appropriate for the student to seek limited employment beyond the appointment, explicit permission must be obtained from both the project supervisor and the Chair of the Departmental Committee on Graduate Students.

Participation of the graduate student in the advisor's outside professional activities may be mutually advantageous. Advance approval by the Department Head is required.

International students with a full time Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship usually cannot apply for other employment during a period of regular enrollment. They should consult with the International Students Office.

Please refer to the Office of the Dean for Graduate Education for more information.